Tuesday, January 20, 2009

School Lunch

Walking into High School in the morning I was always pleased by the smell of the school cafeteria preparing for the onslaught of complaining teenagers who probably really enjoyed it. I didn't share my thoughts at the time. I had a budding social career firmly on the rise and knew better. But in my heart I relished the time when I could use contrived exemptions to excuse myself from going out and plant myself in the lunchroom and eat potato triangles and cheap salisbury steak. I especially enjoyed accepting leftovers from others like miniature cartoned milk and trashy peanut butter, chocolate bars that left a chalky residue. You could buy an extra one for a quarter. Occasionally I would shamelessly bum the money convinced that I was charming if I was blatant. But it didn't matter. I had my peanut butter bar.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ammon said...

For some reason every singld little morsel of school luch, in Idaho was so delicious to me, especially the peanut butter squares. I always loved school lunch until I moved to Utah.

January 21, 2009 at 11:42 AM  
Blogger annalee said...

I feel the same way about the car wash! Just amazing...

January 22, 2009 at 8:25 PM  
Blogger Brett and Heather said...

Those peanut butter squares with the chocolate on top were the best!! And the homemade rolls/buns!! I wish my kids could experience school lunch like we did in School District 321. Now days, it is heated up in styrofoam and you get what you get. It makes me all the more grateful for good ol' Rexburg.

I listened to your conversation with Dallin on Rexburbia. It sounds like you have a great life. Your artwork is awesome!!

April 22, 2009 at 1:50 AM  
Blogger actorroger said...

I gave you several of those quarters.

September 29, 2009 at 2:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home