Saturday, February 28, 2009

Donuts

It's called "Phatso's" but the owner/baker looks like he is a regular marathon runner. I don't know that he found charm in the location close to the action of downtown Chester, Pennsylvania, being a hot spot for drugs, violence, prostitutes. But it felt much different stepping into the shop. Much different. I was scared for my life until I was safely enclosed in the warmth and subtly sweet smells and early morning smiling faces of the proprietor and his son. And if I hadn't been on the war path of weight loss, I would have frequented it more.

I came to New York and tried some expensive donuts. But I don't need to say anything about that.

There in Chester, two blocks from my crappy filthy job, I found a bit of heaven so simple, so delicious, so delightful, and so memorable that if I were ever remotely near I would stop to spend a small fortune to ensure the continued existence of the tiny shop everyone should know so well.

2 Comments:

Blogger yamsey said...

Yum! Phatsos! We love that place! Maybe you guys should come down for a visit and we can make a donut run to that shabby little place with the greatest donuts ever.

April 17, 2009 at 10:00 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

October 21, 2009 at 12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home