Saturday, November 1, 2008

The First Time

We were on the sandy beach where we camped before exploring the canyons and water skiing. Breakfast was never a big event on the trip but on this particular morning we were given cold cereal in styrofoam bowls with plastic spoons. I chose the Honey-Nut Cheerios. I was exceptionally hungry from the previous days activities and approached the moment with excitement. I don't know how to describe it but there was a sensation when I ate that bowl of cereal that I have never been able to recreate even when I used the same ingredients. I had very rarely eaten sugared cereal before and virtually never with 2% milk. But I relished the moment. I took each bite from the plastic spoon with subtlety and sensitivity disregarding the scratch of the spoon on the styrofoam bowl. It was delightful. I never forgot that taste. I had for the first time in my life tasted Honey-Nut Cheerios the way they were intended to be experienced.
I remember so little about the rest of the trip. But I think it was good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home